- What does lead-free jewelry means?
- Why is lead used as an ingredient in imitation jewelry?
- Why should the people be concerned about high level lead-containing jewelry?
- What is the price gap between lead free and non-lead free jewelry?
- Why you should buying lead free fashion jewelry?
If you have above questions, just read entire article and you will find your perfect answer in it! Lead is a metal and has been found in inexpensive fashion jewelry, toys, paints and several other household products.
Lead is used in fashion jewelry for several reasons such as:
- It helps in making the metal easier to shape and form when incorporated into an alloy.
- It makes the jewelry heavier.
- It’s cheaper to use than other metals, such as zinc.
- Lead compounds are used as a stabilizer in some plastics such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC), a plastic often incorporated into some fashion jewelry
But, Lead is a toxic metal if ingested by young children and can cause serious health problems. Children six years old and under are most at risk because their bodies are growing quickly. So do not give children metal jewelry if there is a chance they will place jewelry in their mouths.
Lead can cause several health problems, including:
- Behavioral problems
- Learning disabilities
- Joint and muscle weakness
- Skin allergies
- Organ failure
- And even death
Due to this health effects, there are more and more countries are taking actions against lead. In USA, there is law to prevent jewelry containing high levels of lead. The government has passed on a strict regulation with regards to lead content in the fashion jewelry. 600 ppm (parts per million) lead is acceptable for adult jewelry and 90 ppm lead is acceptable for kids jewelry.
The price of lead free jewelries are higher than non-lead-free jewelries because it needed to be produced in a separate workshop, manufacturers are using zinc alloy to make lead-free jewelries (Zinc alloy is more than 30% costly as compare to lead), and also it’s consuming more mold (silicon or steel mold) for shaping alloy jewelry parts. So the price gap between lead free and non-lead free imitation jewelry is more than 30%. Consider this fact before buying lead free fashion jewelry.
Zinc alloy: it is good option to manufacturing lead free jewellery but some issue in the mold. When put zinc alloy in the high temperature, its liquid become hard and Take shape quicker than lead alloy. So there is not enough time for the liquid to make a perfect shape of jewelry. As a result, there are some very small micro-holes on the surfaces of the jewelry. When these jewelries will be cleaned, polished and plated, the air, acid and other dirt filled in that micro-holes and after completion finishing, These lead free jeweleries are looking perfect.
Mold: silicone and steel mold helps in solving small micro-holes problem and make a perfect surface of jewellery. But cheap rubber mold cannot do it perfectly.
Also there is must need to the right the temperature of the alloy and right turning speed of the mold for making the perfect shape.